Marriage Equality in NJ. Your questions answered.
For two persons to establish a Marriage in this State, it shall be necessary that they satisfy all of the following criteria:
- Not be a party to another civil union, domestic partnership or marriage in this State or recognized by this State;
- Be at least 18 years of age, except that applicants under the age of 18 may enter into a Marriage with parental consent. Applicants under the age of 16 must obtain parental consent and have the consent approved in writing by any judge of the Superior Court, Chancery Division, Family part.
- The marriage license application is to be made in the New Jersey municipality in which either party resides and the license is valid throughout the State of New Jersey.
- If neither applicant is a New Jersey resident, submit the application in the municipality where the marriage ceremony will be performed, the license is only valid in the issuing municipality.
Please contact the Local Registrar to determine if license applications are handled during business hours or by appointment.
- Proof of identity by presenting your driver’s license, passport or state/federal I.D.
- Proof of your residency.
- Your social security card or social security number.*
- A witness, 18 years of age or older.
- The $28 application fee.
*Social security number is required by law for US citizens and will be kept confidential.
Any documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
Call us and we’ll turn your civil union partnership into a MARRIAGE.